- of the same order or degree; equal in rank or importance.
- involving coordination.
- Mathematics. using or pertaining to systems of coordinates.
- Grammar. of the same rank in grammatical construction, as Jack and Jill in the phrase Jack and Jill, or got up and shook hands in the sentence He got up and shook hands.
- a person or thing of equal rank or importance; an equal.
- Mathematics. any of the magnitudes that serve to define the position of a point, line, or the like, by reference to a fixed figure, system of lines, etc.
- coordinates, articles of clothing, furniture, or the like, harmonizing in color, material, or style, designed to be worn or used together.
- to place or class in the same order, rank, division, etc.
- to place or arrange in proper order or position.
- to combine in harmonious relation or action.
- to become coordinate.
- to assume proper order or relation.
- to act in harmonious combination.
Origin of coordinate
Synonyms for coordinateSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for coordinatesharmonize, integrate, organize, regulate, agree, systematize, adjust, reconcile, correlate, conform, proportion, accommodate, synchronize, mesh, combine, pool, conduce, quarterback, reconciliate
Examples from the Web for coordinates
Contemporary Examples of coordinates
For one, these maps often use narrative to chart the landscape, rather than constraining it to a grid with coordinates.Should Google Be Mapping Tribal Lands?
June 4, 2014
Eubanks is an assistant athletic director for football and he coordinates on-campus recruiting visits.How the Media Missed the Hoax of Manti Te’o and His Fictional Girlfriend
January 18, 2013
I knew none of his coordinates, not even his name—on cloudy days, I called him “Gray,” on stormy ones, “Rain.”Christopher Hitchens Eulogized by Roya Hakakian
December 16, 2011
Historical Examples of coordinates
"The coordinates would not be intelligible to you," he said.Old Rambling House
Frank Patrick Herbert
You do not know the coordinates of our world, or even in which galaxy it is located.
You do not know the coordinates of this world, and have no way of finding them.
The important point is, not that the embryo grows, but that it coordinates.Spontaneous Activity in Education
But nothing prohibited Alan from getting the coordinates, and so they gave them to him.Starman's Quest
- clothes of matching or harmonious colours and design, suitable for wearing togetherCompare separates
- (tr) to organize or integrate (diverse elements) in a harmonious operation
- to place (things) in the same class or order, or (of things) to be placed in the same class or order
- (intr) to work together, esp harmoniously
- (intr) to take or be in the form of a harmonious order
- chem to form or cause to form a coordinate bond
- of, concerned with, or involving coordination
- of the same rank, type, etc
- of or involving the use of coordinatescoordinate geometry
1640s, "of the same order," from Medieval Latin coordinatus, past participle of coordinare "to set in order, arrange" (see coordination). Meaning "involving coordination" is from 1769. Related: Coordinance.
1823, in the mathematical sense, especially with reference to the system invented by Descartes; from coordinate (adj.). Hence, coordinates as a means of determining a location on the earth's surface (especially for aircraft), attested by 1960.
1660s, "to place in the same rank," from Latin coordinare (see coordination). Meaning "to arrange in proper position" (transitive) is from 1847; that of "to work together in order" (intransitive) is from 1863. Related: Coordinated; coordinating.
- One of a set of numbers that determines the position of a point. Only one coordinate is needed if the point is on a line, two if the point is in a plane, and three if it is in space.
A set of numbers, or a single number, that locates a point on a line, on a plane, or in space. If the point is known to be on a given line, only one number is needed to locate it. If the point is known to be on a given plane, two numbers are needed. If the point is known to be located in space, three numbers are needed.