[French kawr-dawn sa-nee-ter]
- a line around a quarantined area guarded to prevent the spread of a disease by restricting passage into or out of the area.
- a group of neighboring, generally neutral states forming a geographical barrier between two states having aggressive military or ideological aims against each other.
Origin of cordon sanitaire
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a guarded line serving to cut off an infected area
- a line of buffer states, esp when protecting a nation from infiltration or attack
C19: literally: sanitary line
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
cordon sanitaire(kôr-dôɴ′ sä-nē-târ′)
- A barrier designed to prevent a disease or other undesirable condition from spreading.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.