- of or relating to the cosmos: cosmic laws.
- characteristic of the cosmos or its phenomena: cosmic events.
- immeasurably extended in time and space; vast.
- forming a part of the material universe, especially outside of the earth.
Origin of cosmic
1640–50; < Greek kosmikós worldly, universal, equivalent to kósm(os) world, arrangement + -ikos -ic
SynonymsSee more synonyms for cosmic on Thesaurus.com
3. immense, enormous, stupendous.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for cosmic
That leads us to wonder why galaxies and their black holes somehow “know” where they are in the cosmic web.
Now, a new observation seems to show that black holes also behave according to their place in the cosmic web.
Yeah, you put us in this situation and it is almost a cosmic justice for it to be you.The Walking Dead’s Most Gruesome Scene Yet: ‘A Man’s Gotta Eat’
October 20, 2014
That conflict also complicates finding our place in the cosmic network.
The size and shape of Laniakea depend on the rate of cosmic expansion, which is described by the Hubble parameter.
These few days of Austin's Whitsun visit had changed his cosmic view.Viviette
William J. Locke
Now, our process is only an adaptation of these cosmic rays.
The emanations of the cosmic monster were at work on the Nomad.
Of course, if it is coming from outside the stratosphere as the cosmic rays do, there is no hope.The End of Time
The other important observation is this: there is a cosmic cause for this.Sex=The Unknown Quantity
- of or relating to the whole universecosmic laws
- occurring or originating in outer space, esp as opposed to the vicinity of the earth, the solar system, or the local galaxycosmic rays
- immeasurably extended in space or time; vast
- rare harmonious
Word Origin and History for cosmic
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Relating to the universe or the objects in it.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.