- the branch of philosophy dealing with the origin and general structure of the universe, with its parts, elements, and laws, and especially with such of its characteristics as space, time, causality, and freedom.
- the branch of astronomy that deals with the general structure and evolution of the universe.
Origin of cosmology
Examples from the Web for cosmology
Contemporary Examples of cosmology
Whether those facts match the cosmology of an Iron Age text is not their problem.Southern Baptist Convention: Trans People Don’t Exist
June 12, 2014
Yet Carson is undoubtedly a powerful new force in the GOP cosmology.Really, Dr. Carson? Obamacare Is Worse Than 9/11?
June 5, 2014
Last week, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev felt the need to reject the Mayan cosmology.Russians Prepare for World’s End, Buy Candles and Vodka
December 11, 2012
Since philosophy and physics intertwine at the far reaches of cosmology, this makes him a much more satisfying guide than most.“Why Does the World Exist?” by Jim Holt: Review
July 17, 2012
Historical Examples of cosmology
For fuller proof, see the chapter on "The Cosmology of the Babylonians."
In the chapter on the 'Cosmology' we will have occasion to come back to this point.
It is otherwise in biology, or the organic section of cosmology.The Wonders of Life
We have just shown that, thus understood, totemism also has it cosmology.The Elementary Forms of the Religious Life
It is even permissible to say that he took physics or cosmology too lightly.The Enchiridion
- the philosophical study of the origin and nature of the universe
- the branch of astronomy concerned with the evolution and structure of the universe
- a particular account of the origin or structure of the universePtolemaic cosmology
Word Origin and History for cosmology
They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars--on stars where no human race is.
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places.
[Robert Frost, from "Desert Places," 1936]
- The scientific study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe.
- A specific theory or model of the origin and evolution of the universe.
A system of beliefs that seeks to describe or explain the origin and structure of the universe. A cosmology attempts to establish an ordered, harmonious framework that integrates time, space, the planets, stars, and other celestial phenomena. In so-called primitive societies, cosmologies help explain the relationship of human beings to the rest of the universe and are therefore closely tied to religious beliefs and practices. In modern industrial societies, cosmologies seek to explain the universe through astronomy and mathematics. Metaphysics also plays a part in the formation of cosmologies. (See also under “Physical Sciences and Mathematics.”)