- a check that opposes or restrains.
- a check controlling or confirming another check.
- to oppose or restrain (a tendency, force, trend, etc.) by contrary action.
- to control or confirm by a second check.
Origin of countercheck
Related Words for countercheckinvalidate, reverse, neutralize, void, undo, disallow, nullify, belie, vitiate, disprove, rebut, annihilate, subdue, redress, counterbalance, offset, negate, overcome, restore, vindicate
Examples from the Web for countercheck
Historical Examples of countercheck
The beautiful simplicity of the countercheck aroused Matt's admiration.Motor Matt's Air Ship
Stanley R. Matthews
The retort courteous, if not even the countercheck quarrelsome, "Then why do you notice it?"A History of the French Novel, Vol. 2
Its use as a countercheck in this Order is best exemplified in the common water-beetle (Dytiscus marginalis).An Introduction to Entomology: Vol. III (of 4)
The 80th captured the gun; and the enemy, dismayed by this countercheck, did not venture to press on further.The History of England in Three Volumes, Vol.III.
E. Farr and E. H. Nolan
That word fell on his ear for the first time from a white man's lips, and the stupefaction of it was a countercheck to his grief.
- a check or restraint, esp one that acts in opposition to another
- a restraint that reinforces another restraint
- a double check, as for accuracy
- to oppose by counteraction
- to control or restrain by a second check
- to double-check