or co·sy, co·zey, co·zie
- snugly warm and comfortable: a cozy little house.
- convenient or beneficial, usually as a result of dishonesty or connivance: a very cozy agreement between competing firms.
- suggesting opportunistic or conspiratorial intimacy: a cozy relationship between lobbyists and some politicians.
- discreetly reticent or noncommittal: The administrators are remaining cozy about which policy they plan to adopt.
- a padded covering for a teapot, chocolate pot, etc., to retain the heat.
- to make more cozy (often followed by up): New curtains would cozy the room up a bit.
- cozy up (to), Informal.
- to move closer for comfort or affection: Come over to the fire and cozy up a bit.
- to try to become friendly or intimate in order to further one's own ends; attempt to ingratiate oneself: He's always cozying up to the boss.
Origin of cozy
Synonyms for cozySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for cozinessamenity, contentment, enjoyment, satisfaction, convenience, well-being, luxury, relaxation, pleasure, warmth, happiness, relief, abundance, assuagement, complacency, alleviation, peacefulness, sufficiency, quiet, repose
Examples from the Web for coziness
Contemporary Examples of coziness
Once there, I have two windows looking our on our courtyard, and a radiator for coziness.How I Write: Diane Johnson
January 15, 2014
This coziness made many feel Fayyad was putting the U.S. and Israel's wants and needs above those of his own people.Why Palestinians Welcomed Fayyad’s Resignation
April 16, 2013
Last year the Color of Change group called out Rush for his coziness with the industry, a claim he shrugged off.The Story Behind Bobby Rush, the Hoodie-Wearing, Trayvon-Supporting Congressman
March 28, 2012
Historical Examples of coziness
She led the way into that little room, which was fairly encumbered with coziness.The Trimming of Goosie
Yet, in spite of its coziness, I thought it had a dreary look.The Rose of Old St. Louis
When they returned home the coziness of their hour together was lost.We Can't Have Everything
She looked about her, indeed, with a certain appreciation of its coziness and adequacy.Clark's Field
Intimate life was here, striking the note of coziness of Luxor.The Spell of Egypt
- the usual US spelling of cosy
1709, colsie, Scottish dialect, perhaps of Scandinavian origin (cf. Norwegian kose seg "be cozy"). In Britain, usually cosy. Related: Cozily; coziness.