- a person born in Spanish America but of European, usually Spanish, ancestry.Compare Creole(def 1).
- a domestic animal of any of several strains or breeds developed in Latin America.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a criollo or criollos.
Origin of criollo
Examples from the Web for criollo
Historical Examples of criollo
The cacao of the criollo variety has pods the walls of which are thin and warty, with ten distinct furrows.Cocoa and Chocolate
Arthur W. Knapp
It is considered by some to be sufficiently distinct to form a third type equivalent to criollo or forastero.
Of the many varieties of the cacao, the best known are the criollo, forastero, and calabacilla.
The criollo (creole) bean is generally used as seed, and for it high prices are obtained.
- a native or inhabitant of Latin America of European descent, esp of Spanish descent
- any of various South American breeds of domestic animal
- (as modifier)a criollo pony
- a high-quality variety of cocoa
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a criollo or criollos