- in a raw or unprepared state; unrefined or natural: crude sugar.
- lacking in intellectual subtlety, perceptivity, etc.; rudimentary; undeveloped.
- lacking finish, polish, or completeness: a crude summary.
- lacking culture, refinement, tact, etc.: crude behavior.
- undisguised; blunt: a crude answer.
- Obsolete. unripe; not mature.
Origin of crude
Synonyms for crudeSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for crude
Related Words for crudeboorish, indecent, rude, savage, cheap, obscene, raw, clumsy, coarse, lewd, crass, primitive, harsh, simple, rudimentary, makeshift, unprocessed, homemade, amateurish, gross
Examples from the Web for crude
Contemporary Examples of crude
Originally conceived by author Clarence E. Mulford in 1904, Hopalong was crude, rough-talking, and dangerous.The Most Confusing Christmas Music Lyrics Explained (VIDEO)
December 24, 2014
Those higher construction costs will mean higher costs for companies who want to use the pipeline to ship their crude to market.Why the Keystone XL Pipeline May Not Be Built
November 19, 2014
Three kids play cricket among the crude gravestones in a cemetery that is the largest in the province.Heart of Darkness: Into Afghanistan’s Taliban Valley
Matt Trevithick, Daniel Seckman
November 15, 2014
The condensate is then supposed to be routed into the pipeline system that delivers the crude to the nearby refinery.
Yet she also conceded that there is some crude residue still inside the Tesoro rail-facility stormwater system.
Historical Examples of crude
To the adventurer from New York they seem always new and crude.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
It was Burke who offered a diversion, a crude interruption after his own fashion.Within the Law
Scarification, with other crude penances, has now been superseded by benefaction.The Devil's Dictionary
They spoke English, and, after a fashion, reasoned in a crude sort of way.The Monster Men
Edgar Rice Burroughs
It had required Sam's reference to gas and crude oil to close the circuit.The Fortune Hunter
Louis Joseph Vance
- lacking taste, tact, or refinement; vulgara crude joke
- in a natural or unrefined state
- lacking care, knowledge, or skilla crude sketch
- (prenominal) stark; bluntthe crude facts
- (of statistical data) unclassified or unanalysed
- archaic unripe
- short for crude oil
Word Origin for crude
late 14c., "in a raw state," from Latin crudus "rough; not cooked, raw, bloody," from PIE *krue-do-, from PIE *kreue- (1) "raw flesh" (see raw). Meaning "lacking grace" is first attested 1640s. Related: Crudely; crudeness. Crude oil is from 1865.