- cryptogram(def 1).
- a system of secret writing; cipher.
- a device for translating clear text into cipher.
Origin of cryptograph
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for cryptograph
It is a cryptograph, but a simple one, familiar to school children.Nooks and Corners of Old New York
Natural history is not a cryptograph to be deciphered, it is a series of facts and incidents to be observed and recorded.Ways of Nature
Pray, Matthew, do you see any one sign repeated oftener than the others in this cryptograph?Curiosities of Olden Times
It would involve a discussion of chemical symbols and formul which would make the printed page a cryptograph.
In the present instance we see it doubled no less than five times, although the cryptograph is brief.The Short-story
William Patterson Atkinson
- something written in code or cipher
- a code using secret symbols (cryptograms)
- a device for translating text into cipher, or vice versa