- an obsolete photographic process, invented in 1839, in which a picture made on a silver surface sensitized with iodine was developed by exposure to mercury vapor.
- a picture made by this process.
- to photograph by this process.
Origin of daguerreotype
Examples from the Web for daguerreotype
Contemporary Examples of daguerreotype
We can feel her sensuality and willfulness in the first daguerreotype we have of Mary, taken in 1846, when she was twenty-seven.Lincoln in Love
February 14, 2014
Historical Examples of daguerreotype
I've got that daguerreotype I had took when I was married afore.Cap'n Eri
Joseph Crosby Lincoln
From the case she took a packet of letters and a daguerreotype.Keziah Coffin
Joseph C. Lincoln
He sent this daguerreotype, with instructions to trace up the young man, if possible.Dr. Sevier
George W. Cable
The Frulein Martha von Froriep was the daguerreotype of her brother.Arthur O'Leary
Charles James Lever
It was a daguerreotype of the beautiful young girl that Mercedes had been in 1845.Pirate Gold
Frederic Jesup Stimson
- one of the earliest photographic processes, in which the image was produced on iodine-sensitized silver and developed in mercury vapour
- a photograph formed by this process
1839, from French daguerreotype, coined from name of inventor, Louis Daguerre (1789-1851) + -type (see type (n.)).