- a person who buys and sells articles without altering their condition; trader or merchant, especially a wholesaler: I got a dealer's discount on this coat.
- Cards. the player distributing the cards.
- a person who behaves or acts toward another or others in a specified manner: a plain dealer.
- Slang. a person who buys and sells drugs illegally.
- a person who buys securities for his or her account and retains them until sold to another.
Origin of dealer
Related Words for dealermerchant, trafficker, vendor, trader, banker, retailer, wholesaler, merchandiser, bursar, businessperson, marketer, chandler, dispenser, changer
Examples from the Web for dealer
Contemporary Examples of dealer
And he called both the dealer and the girl who worked nights baby, and neither of them seemed to mind.The Stacks: Pete Dexter on What It’s Like to Lose the Knack of Having Fun
September 20, 2014
The dealer, Ethleen Staley of the Staley Wise Gallery in New York, says this very clearly in the film.Vogue Photographer Erwin Blumenfeld: Secrets of a Fashion Legend
September 14, 2014
Nancy is a dealer with high standing in a drug empire, if not the one running the show a good chunk of the time.Orange Is the New Weeds: The Adventures of Jenji Kohan Across the 8th Dimension
Rich Goldstein, Emily Shire
August 18, 2014
The dealer calls himself to check the numbers, and the transaction is made.This Anti-Heroin Drug Is Now King of the Jailhouse Drug Trade
July 17, 2014
Aunetta has worked for the past five years as a 21 dealer in a Reno casino for $35 a night and tips.The Stacks: The Judas Priest Teen Suicide Trial
June 28, 2014
Historical Examples of dealer
They went into the dining-room, and the dealer called for coffee at once.Rico and Wiseli
The dealer had lost patience and had sent for the picture; the van told the story.The Underdog
F. Hopkinson Smith
Then a dealer in turtles came by, and they told him their tale.The Chinese Fairy Book
He was a dealer, who, for some few years, had been revolutionising the picture trade.His Masterpiece
It was kept by a dealer in cooked vegetables, and was just being opened.The Fat and the Thin
- a person or firm engaged in commercial purchase and sale; tradera car dealer
- cards the person who distributes the cards
- slang a person who sells illegal drugs
Old English dælere "divider, distributor; agent, negotiator," agent noun from deal (v.). Meaning "player who passes out the cards in a game" is from c.1600; meaning "one who deals in merchandise" is from 1610s. Illegal drug sense is recorded by 1920.