- the head of a faculty, school, or administrative division in a university or college: the dean of admissions.
- an official in an American college or secondary school having charge of student personnel services, such as counseling or discipline: the dean of men.
- the official in charge of undergraduate students at an English university.
- the head of the chapter of a cathedral or a collegiate church.
- Also called vicar forane. a priest in the Roman Catholic Church appointed by a bishop to take care of the affairs of a division of a diocese.
Words nearby dean
Origin of dean1
OTHER WORDS FROM deandean·ship, noun
Definition for dean (2 of 4)
Definition for dean (3 of 4)
Definition for dean (4 of 4)
Origin of dene
Examples from the Web for dean
(It's worth noting that Dean himself has already endorsed Clinton).Elizabeth Warren 2016 Gets First Check From Liberals|Ben Jacobs|December 17, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Dean Todd arranged for me to sit behind a screen and talk about my rape for a group of student leaders and activists.
Dean Sybil Todd passed away from pancreatic cancer before she could testify.
Dean Todd remained my friend until I graduated in 1988, with my degree in English literature.
Canevari passed me off to Dean Sybil Todd, who accompanied me to the University Police Department.
You are overflowing with repressed energy, Marjorie, Mrs. Dean said, looking a trifle anxious.Marjorie Dean College Freshman|Pauline Lester
Again the door was thrown open, and this time the Dean ushered the Prince into the chamber, and conducted him toward the dais.The Prince of India, Volume II|Lew. Wallace
I have said little of the Dean's ancestors, merely named the Burnetts and Bannermans.Reminiscences of Scottish Life and Character|Edward Bannerman Ramsay
He swallowed his coffee hurriedly and walked down to Dean Street, where by good fortune he found Sam alone in the shop.The Bread-winners|John Hay
Here I broke off to ask my friend whether he thought it expressed a more wild calamity to shoot a Dean or to be a Dean.Tremendous Trifles|G. K. Chesterton