- to destroy or ruin (a building or other structure), especially on purpose; tear down; raze.
- to put an end to; destroy; explode: The results of his research demolished many theories.
- to lay waste to; ruin utterly: The fire demolished the area.
- Informal. to devour completely: We simply demolished that turkey.
Origin of demolish
SynonymsSee more synonyms for demolish on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for demolish
Eri Hayward is cheerful, even as she drops verbal bombs that demolish mainstream conceptions about being transgender.Thank God! To the Church, This Transgender Woman Is Just a Skank
October 22, 2014
It will stir things up, but it will not begin to demolish the group.The Case of the Yakking Yakuza
September 16, 2014
But if the Arab states mustered the will, they could demolish ISIS, as history has shown.How a Real Air War Could Demolish ISIS
August 23, 2014
They need to demolish their homes and round them up, the way they do it to our children.The Seeds of the Next Intifada
July 7, 2014
The sale has hit some snags, but the lease also gives El-Gamel the right to demolish the building.Why the Ground Zero Mosque Is Worth Saving
April 11, 2014
I'll certainly invent a Frenchman, and make him an author, and then demolish him.Lord Kilgobbin
He harangued the Indians, and exhorted them to demolish the fort.
How would it be, think you, if we were to demolish Nambanji?'
Mr. Sakari suggested that himself, and when I agreed with him he proceeded to demolish it.Theft
After denying your first depositions, you are trying to demolish your own father's evidence.The Frontier
- to tear down or break up (buildings, etc)
- to destroy; put an end to (an argument, etc)
- facetious to eat upshe demolished the whole cake!
Word Origin and History for demolish
1560s, from Middle French demoliss-, present participle stem of démolir "to destroy, tear down" (late 14c.), from Latin demoliri "tear down," from de- "down" (see de-) + moliri "build, construct," from moles (genitive molis) "massive structure" (see mole (n.3)). Related: Demolished; demolishing.