- a person or thing that descends.
- the part of a lowercase letter that goes below the body.
- a letter having such a part, as p, q, j, or y.
Origin of descender
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for descender
Historical Examples of descender
Basta descender cinco mil varas para pasar de los musgos del polo a las selvas del Ecuador.
- a person or thing that descends
- printing the portion of a letter, such as j, p, or y, below the level of the base of an x or n
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for descender
in typography, "part of a letter that extends below the body," 1802, agent noun from descend.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper