- action aided or caused by the devil; sorcery; witchcraft.
- the character or condition of a devil.
- a doctrine concerning devils.
- a belief in or worship of devils.
- action befitting the devil; deviltry.
Origin of diabolism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Wordsgenius, wizard, witch, virtuoso, charmer, seer, enchanter, enchantress, siren, conjurer, soothsayer, sorcerer, warlock, medium, shaman, diviner, trickster, prophet, voodoo, genie
- activities designed to enlist the aid of devils, esp in witchcraft or sorcery
- worship of devils or beliefs and teachings concerning them
- the nature of devils
- character or conduct that is devilish or fiendish; devilry
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for diabolist
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper