[ dahy-ab-uh-liz-uhm ]
/ daɪˈæb əˌlɪz əm /
Save This Word!
- action aided or caused by the devil; sorcery; witchcraft.
- the character or condition of a devil.
- a doctrine concerning devils.
- a belief in or worship of devils.
action befitting the devil; deviltry.
QUIZ YOURSELF ON AFFECT VS. EFFECT!
In effect, this quiz will prove whether or not you have the skills to know the difference between “affect” and “effect.”
Question 1 of 7
The rainy weather could not ________ my elated spirits on my graduation day.
OTHER WORDS FROM diabolismdi·ab·o·list, noun
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2022
British Dictionary definitions for diabolism
/ (daɪˈæbəˌlɪzəm) /
- activities designed to enlist the aid of devils, esp in witchcraft or sorcery
- worship of devils or beliefs and teachings concerning them
- the nature of devils
character or conduct that is devilish or fiendish; devilry
Derived forms of diabolismdiabolist, noun
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012