verb (used without object), died, dy·ing.
- to cease to exist; become extinct: Both lines of the family died out before the turn of the century.
- to die away; fade; subside: The roar of the engines died out as the rocket vanished into the clouds.
- to die only after a bitter struggle.
- to give way or surrender slowly or with difficulty: Childhood beliefs die hard.
Can be confuseddie dye
Definition for dieing (2 of 2)
noun, plural dies for 1, 2, 4, dice for 3.
- any of various devices for cutting or forming material in a press or a stamping or forging machine.
- a hollow device of steel, often composed of several pieces to be fitted into a stock, for cutting the threads of bolts or the like.
- one of the separate pieces of such a device.
- a steel block or plate with small conical holes through which wire, plastic rods, etc., are drawn.
verb (used with object), died, die·ing.
Origin of die2
Examples from the Web for dieing
It's more interesting than dieing, and will be a novelty in this house.Bab: A Sub-Deb|Mary Roberts Rinehart
My private opinyun ov a coquet iz, that if they suckceed in dieing an old maid, they dont deserve all the punishment they receive.The Complete Works of Josh Billings|Henry W. Shaw
Don't see how the cattle live at all and there is lots of them dieing.Roosevelt in the Bad Lands|H. Hagedorn.
It was her dieing Advice to her afflicted Laura, who has ever most faithfully adhered to it.Love And Freindship And Other Early Works|Jane Austen
Slander iz played on a tin horn, while truth steals forth like the dieing song ov a lute.Josh Billings, Hiz Sayings|Henry Wheeler Shaw
British Dictionary definitions for dieing (1 of 2)
verb dies, dying or died (mainly intr)
Word Origin for die
British Dictionary definitions for dieing (2 of 2)
- a shaped block of metal or other hard material used to cut or form metal in a drop forge, press, or similar device
- a tool of metal, silicon carbide, or other hard material with a conical hole through which wires, rods, or tubes are drawn to reduce their diameter
Word Origin for die
Medicine definitions for dieing
Idioms and Phrases with dieing
In addition to the idioms beginning with die
- die away
- die down
- die for
- die hard
- die in harness
- die is cast, the
- die laughing
- die off
- die out
- die to
- die with one's boots on
- curl up (and die)
- do or die
- it's to die
- never say die