- in a direct line, way, or manner; straight: The path leads directly to the lake.
- at once; without delay; immediately: Do that directly.
- shortly; soon: They will be here directly.
- exactly; precisely: directly opposite the store.
- without intervening space; next in order: The truck was parked directly behind my car.
- openly or frankly; candidly: He didn't hesitate to speak directly about his debts.
- Mathematics. in direct proportion.
- as soon as: Directly he arrived, he mentioned the subject.
Origin of directly
SynonymsSee more synonyms for directly on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for directly
So I send a note out to his house with Tony, his driver, who promises he'll put it directly into Hitch's hand.Alfred Hitchcock’s Fade to Black: The Great Director’s Final Days
December 13, 2014
Today, in contrast, if Grandma Maude starts one in Maine, Aunty Carol can directly help out from California.Why Every Home Needs a Drone This Holiday
December 8, 2014
He was prepared to swarm the island—not directly, but through Brooklyn.The British Royals Reinvade Brooklyn: William and Kate Come Watch Basketball on Historic Battle Site
December 6, 2014
At no time during the shoot was Viscount Severn directly in front of the Earl of Wessex.Prince Charles Photographed Shooting, Charges of Animal Cruelty and Royal Hypocrisy Reignited
December 1, 2014
Each side has deeply seeded beliefs that are based on directly opposing ideologies.‘Gods of Suburbia’: Dina Goldstein’s Arresting Photo Series on Religion vs. Consumerism
November 8, 2014
I fetched up at an exit on the side street, and there they were directly in front of me.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
The Nile was directly responsible for this useful development.Ancient Man
Hendrik Willem van Loon
Directly they had reached the privacy of the street they became quieter.Ester Ried Yet Speaking
The joint of the 20-foot pieces should be directly in the center of the 10-foot piece.Flying Machines
W.J. Jackman and Thos. H. Russell
"The table is directly in front of you," came the Leopard Woman's voice.The Leopard Woman
Stewart Edward White
- in a direct manner
- at once; without delay
- (foll by before or after) immediately; just
- (subordinating) as soon aswe left directly the money arrived