- to make unable or unfit; weaken or destroy the capability of; incapacitate: The detective successfully disabled the bomb. He was disabled by the accident.
- to make legally incapable; disqualify.
Origin of disable
SynonymsSee more synonyms for disable on Thesaurus.com
1. enfeeble, paralyze.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to make ineffective, unfit, or incapable, as by crippling
- to make or pronounce legally incapable
- to switch off (an electronic device)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for disabler
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper