- to cease to be seen; vanish from sight.
- to cease to exist or be known; pass away; end gradually: One by one the symptoms disappeared.
- (of a person) to vanish under suspicious circumstances: The dictator's outspoken opponent disappeared that evening, shortly after midnight.
- to cause to disappear: The magician then disappeared the card.
- to kidnap or arrest and then imprison or kill (a political opponent) without due process of law.
- the disappeared, political opponents who are caused to disappear, as by kidnapping: the disappeared of Argentina.
Origin of disappear
Related Wordsdepart, wane, retire, escape, go, melt, dissipate, fade, perish, evaporate, expire, sink, flee, retreat, fly, die, recede, leave, withdraw, abandon
Examples from the Web for disappeared
But even though he has been disappeared, Castro is not forgotten.
There should be a retrievable record of exactly when the Airbus disappeared from radar.Did Bad Weather Bring Down AirAsia 8501?
December 29, 2014
Today, there are only about 30,000 remaining, as they have disappeared from twenty-six countries.Heed the Warnings: Why We’re on the Brink of Mass Extinction
Sean B. Carroll
November 30, 2014
Only two months later, her youngest brother, Mohammed Muktar, disappeared.Drawing on the Memories of Syrian Women
November 26, 2014
The giant bear flicked his ears and, with unmistakable restraint, swung away and disappeared into the trees.What It Takes to Kill a Grizzly Bear
November 23, 2014
One of the stars in the constellation of the Pleiades is said to have disappeared.Philothea
Lydia Maria Child
Finally he disappeared, and, as it seems, embraced the profession of a sailor.Brave and Bold
The old cities of Egypt have disappeared from the face of the earth.Ancient Man
Hendrik Willem van Loon
Thrones have toppled and their vast empires have disappeared.
Like the tomb of William the Conqueror at Caen, it disappeared long ago.Yorkshire Painted And Described
- (intr) to cease to be visible; vanish
- (intr) to go away or become lost, esp secretly or without explanation
- (intr) to cease to exist, have effect, or be known; become extinct or lostthe pain has disappeared
- (tr) (esp in South and Central America) to arrest secretly and presumably imprison or kill (a member of an opposing political group)
Word Origin and History for disappeared
early 15c., disaperen, from dis- "do the opposite of" + appear. Earlier was disparish (early 15c.), from French disparaiss-, stem of disparaître. Related: Disappeared; disappearing; disappears. Slang disappearing act is originally of magic shows; in figurative sense of "getting away" first attested 1913.