- to consider or examine by argument, comment, etc.; talk over or write about, especially to explore solutions; debate: to discuss the proposed law on taxes.
- Civil Law.
- to collect a debt from (the person primarily liable) before proceeding against the person secondarily liable.
- to execute against the movable property of (a debtor) before proceeding against the debtor's immovable property, as land.
- Rare. to consume (food or drink) enthusiastically.
- Obsolete. to make known; reveal.
Origin of discuss
SynonymsSee more synonyms for discuss on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for discussing
I couldn't have imagined that I would actually be sitting with him, coincidentally at age 30, discussing the same issue.Cuban Hip-Hop Was Born in Alamar
December 26, 2014
I was on Charlie Rose recently, and in discussing Marilyn Monroe he asked, what do you think was her great appeal?Daphne Merkin on Lena Dunham, Book Criticism, and Self-Examination
December 26, 2014
The military has been trying to stop current and former special operators from discussing their secretive profession.Exclusive: Bin Laden ‘Shooter’ Under Investigation for Leaking Secrets
December 23, 2014
Neither individual would go on the record due to the sensitivity of discussing personnel matters.Vaclav Klaus, Libertarian Hero, Has His Wings Clipped by Cato Institute
December 22, 2014
Once we were discussing Lifeboat, a Hitchcock film that takes place almost entirely in a small boat adrift at sea.Alfred Hitchcock’s Fade to Black: The Great Director’s Final Days
December 13, 2014
His tone was as level as if he were discussing some trivial matter.The Bacillus of Beauty
They had been discussing the moral influence of racing; this seemed more like theology.Thoroughbreds
W. A. Fraser
What use would there be in discussing the matter with this child?The Dream
He was standing in front of the building, discussing some matter with the contractor.Her Father's Daughter
Surprisingly enough these two likewise are discussing Sam Graham.The Fortune Hunter
Louis Joseph Vance
- to have a conversation about; consider by talking over; debate
- to treat (a subject) in speech or writingthe first three volumes discuss basic principles
- facetious, rare to eat or drink with enthusiasm
Word Origin and History for discussing
mid-14c., "to examine, investigate," from Latin discuss-, past participle stem of discutere "to dash to pieces, agitate," in Late Latin and Vulgar Latin also "to discuss, investigate" (see discussion). Meaning "examine by argument, debate" is from mid-15c. Related: Discussed; discussing.