Origin of dispensable
SynonymsSee more synonyms for dispensable on Thesaurus.com
1. expendable, unnecessary; unessential, unimportant, extraneous.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- not essential; expendable
- capable of being distributed
- (of a law, vow, etc) able to be relaxed
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for dispensability
1530s, "subject to dispensation," from Medieval Latin dispensabilis, from dispensare (see dispense). Meaning "that can be done without" is from 1640s. Related: Dispensability.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Capable of being dispensed, administered, or distributed. Used of a drug.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.