- lack of adequate power, strength, or physical or mental ability; incapacity.
- a physical or mental handicap, especially one that prevents a person from living a full, normal life or from holding a gainful job.
- anything that disables or puts one at a disadvantage: His mere six-foot height will be a disability in professional basketball.
- the state or condition of being disabled.
- legal incapacity; legal disqualification.
- disability insurance.
Origin of disability
Synonyms for disabilitySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for disability
Related Words for disabilityinjury, impairment, ailment, infirmity, defect, weakness, lack, incapacity, inexperience, drawback, incompetency, affliction, inability, detriment, disqualification, invalidity
Examples from the Web for disability
Contemporary Examples of disability
Jason Kingsley, the son of one of the producers, would go on to appear 55 times on the show talking about his disability.‘Sesame Street’ Is Middle-Aged and Awesome
November 10, 2014
What if the pain her mother and doctors observed had nothing to do with disability, but was in fact pain?U.K. Courts Grant Mother Right to End Her 12-Year-Old Disabled Daughter’s Life
November 4, 2014
Unfortunately, his disability—he is wheelchair-bound—was also in her crosshairs.The Strangest, Cheesiest, Most Brazenly False Political Ads of 2014
Jack Holmes, The Daily Beast Video
November 3, 2014
It comes back to this idea that autism or disability is just around the corner but never in the room.Yes, ‘Aspergery’ Is a Slur and It's Time to Stop Using It
October 30, 2014
Pathways offers employment services no matter the intensiveness of the disability (they have a lottery system).Hiring People With Disabilities Isn’t Just the Right Thing to Do—It’s Good for Business
October 27, 2014
Historical Examples of disability
Certain sections of the nation get cured of this disability.A Treatise on Parents and Children
George Bernard Shaw
Take one child and put him under the disability that the twins were born with.Now We Are Three
Joe L. Hensley
Do you think that some exterior force is causing the President's disability?
Only how the bonfires wouldn't burn if it should turn out to be only a disability after all.Is He Popenjoy?
This disability was removed in 1802, and much benefit is expected to result from this measure.Austria
- the condition of being unable to perform a task or function because of a physical or mental impairment
- something that disables; handicap
- lack of necessary intelligence, strength, etc
- an incapacity in the eyes of the law to enter into certain transactions
- A disadvantage or deficiency, especially a physical or mental impairment that prevents or restricts normal achievement.