- to divide and give out in shares; deal out; allot.
- to disperse through a space or over an area; spread; scatter.
- to promote, sell, and ship or deliver (an item or line of merchandise) to individual customers, especially in a specified region or area.
- to pass out or deliver (mail, newspapers, etc.) to intended recipients.
- to divide into distinct phases: The process was distributed into three stages.
- to divide into classes: These plants are distributed into 22 classes.
- Logic. to employ (a term) in a proposition so as to refer to all individuals denoted by the term.
- Physical Chemistry. to dissolve uniformly in a solvent consisting of layers of immiscible or partially miscible substances.
- to roll out (ink) on the table to attain the proper consistency.
- to return (type) to the proper place after printing.
Origin of distribute
Synonyms for distributeSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for distributedisburse, apportion, disseminate, dispense, give, share, administer, allot, scatter, donate, issue, assign, present, circulate, order, file, arrange, partition, convey, deal
Examples from the Web for distribute
Contemporary Examples of distribute
Surenos are told when to workout, who to associate with and how to distribute any funds they make from illegal activity.The Mexican Mafia Is the Daddy of All Street Gangs
December 11, 2014
Pinch it with your fingers until it makes large crumbles and distribute it on the berries (it will not cover them entirely).The Barefoot Contessa Knows How To Make Us Crumble
November 30, 2014
To be sure, it had plenty of big newspaper plants, but could we bring our papers back to Baltimore in time to distribute them?The Stacks: H.L. Mencken on the 1904 Baltimore Fire
October 4, 2014
Rather than focus on building large centralized plants, why not distribute solar power across a bunch of rooftops?Panel Discussion
The Daily Beast
September 8, 2014
He blanched when it came time to plunge, invest the money, press, and distribute.The Stacks: How Leonard Chess Helped Make Muddy Waters
August 2, 2014
Historical Examples of distribute
This will mix all the food and distribute the moisture equally.Woman's Institute Library of Cookery, Vol. 5
Woman's Institute of Domestic Arts and Sciences
Angelique herself could not distribute much money, as she had none.The Dream
She could distribute, and did distribute pretty looks and smiles to every one among them.Little Dorrit
How could the sacristans manage to distribute the holy vestments and the cloths?The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete
It took about fifty of us several hours to distribute these presents.Freeland
- to give out in shares; dispense
- to hand out or deliverto distribute handbills
- (often passive) to spread throughout a space or areagulls are distributed along the west coast
- (often passive) to divide into classes or categories; classifythese books are distributed in four main categories
- printing to return (used type) to the correct positions in the type case
- logic to incorporate in a distributed term of a categorial proposition
- maths logic to expand an expression containing two operators in such a way that the precedence of the operators is changed; for example, distributing multiplication over addition in a (b + c) yields ab + ac
- obsolete to dispense (justice)
Word Origin for distribute
early 15c., "to deal out or apportion," from Latin distributus, past participle of distribuere "to divide, distribute" (see distribution). Related: Distributable; distributed; distributing.