- (in distinctive feature analysis) characterized by relatively extensive contact or constriction between the articulating organs, as the (sh) in show in contrast to the (s) in so.
Origin of distributed
- to divide and give out in shares; deal out; allot.
- to disperse through a space or over an area; spread; scatter.
- to promote, sell, and ship or deliver (an item or line of merchandise) to individual customers, especially in a specified region or area.
- to pass out or deliver (mail, newspapers, etc.) to intended recipients.
- to divide into distinct phases: The process was distributed into three stages.
- to divide into classes: These plants are distributed into 22 classes.
- Logic. to employ (a term) in a proposition so as to refer to all individuals denoted by the term.
- Physical Chemistry. to dissolve uniformly in a solvent consisting of layers of immiscible or partially miscible substances.
- to roll out (ink) on the table to attain the proper consistency.
- to return (type) to the proper place after printing.
Origin of distribute
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for distributed
Even Sony Pictures Classics, who distributed the Before trilogy?Coffee Talk with Ethan Hawke: On ‘Boyhood,’ Jennifer Lawrence, and Bill Clinton’s Urinal Exchange
December 27, 2014
While food is distributed to families, children living on the UN base in Bentiu continue to struggle with malnutrition.‘There was no food, no more water lilies’
October 31, 2014
In 1985, the mayor of Dearborn distributed fliers about the growing “Arab problem.”These Candidates Are Courting the Muslim Vote
October 15, 2014
After it reached Ethiopia, the contents were distributed and sold out in under two weeks.'Made in China' Now Being Made in Africa
August 23, 2014
It will only be distributed to select bars and at official company events.When a Modern-Day Indiana Jones Met an Adventurous Gin Distiller
July 8, 2014
Copies were also directed to be distributed through the district.A Sketch of the Life of Brig. Gen. Francis Marion
William Dobein James
They were distributed among the captains of the fleet for transportation to Athens.Stories from Thucydides
H. L. Havell
We were distributed about the ship, and ordered to go to work.Ned Myers
James Fenimore Cooper
Photographs of the outlaw were obtained and distributed among the men.The Hunted Outlaw
And in fact they soon had provisions to spare and distributed them among the poor.The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete
- to give out in shares; dispense
- to hand out or deliverto distribute handbills
- (often passive) to spread throughout a space or areagulls are distributed along the west coast
- (often passive) to divide into classes or categories; classifythese books are distributed in four main categories
- printing to return (used type) to the correct positions in the type case
- logic to incorporate in a distributed term of a categorial proposition
- maths logic to expand an expression containing two operators in such a way that the precedence of the operators is changed; for example, distributing multiplication over addition in a (b + c) yields ab + ac
- obsolete to dispense (justice)
Word Origin and History for distributed
early 15c., "to deal out or apportion," from Latin distributus, past participle of distribuere "to divide, distribute" (see distribution). Related: Distributable; distributed; distributing.