- a person or thing that distributes.
- a person, firm, etc., engaged in the general distribution or marketing of some article or class of goods.
- a wholesaler who has exclusive rights to market, within a given territory, the goods of a manufacturer or company.
- Automotive, Machinery. a device in a multicylinder engine that distributes the igniting voltage to the spark plugs in a definite sequence.
- (in a press) one of the rollers for spreading ink on the table, rolling it to a proper consistency, and transferring it to rollers that ink the form or plate.
- Also called distributor bar.(in a Linotype) a bar with keylike cuts along its length, for sorting matrices into their proper magazines after type has been cast.
Origin of distributor
Examples from the Web for distributer
Historical Examples of distributer
The sun of course is not light, only a light-holder and distributer.Quiet Talks on Power
Do not become a distributer of the small talk of a community.Searchlights on Health: Light on Dark Corners
Fig. 57 shows a form of distributer which will illustrate the construction.Motors
James Slough Zerbe
In this there was nothing pleasant to the distributer of patronage.An Autobiography
It was the duty of the Distributer of Stamps to stamp all documents brought to him, and so forth.A Veldt Official
- a person or thing that distributes
- a wholesaler or middleman engaged in the distribution of a category of goods, esp to retailers in a specific area
- the device in a petrol engine that distributes the high-tension voltage to the sparking plugs in the sequence of the firing order
1520s, distributer (Latinized form is from 1570s), agent noun from Latin distribuere (see distribution). As a part in an internal combustion engine, from 1905.