[dih-vur-tis-muh nt; French dee-ver-tees-mahn]
- a diversion or entertainment.
- Music. divertimento.
- a short ballet or other performance serving as an interlude in a play, opera, etc.
- a program consisting of such performances.
Origin of divertissement
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a brief entertainment or diversion, usually between the acts of a play
- a fantasia on popular melodies; potpourri
- a piece or pieces written to be played during the intervals in a play, opera, etc
- another word for divertimento
C18: from French: entertainment