- Also doc·u·men·tal [dok-yuh-men-tl] /ˌdɒk yəˈmɛn tl/. pertaining to, consisting of, or derived from documents: a documentary history of France.
- Movies, Television. based on or re-creating an actual event, era, life story, etc., that purports to be factually accurate and contains no fictional elements: a documentary life of Gandhi.
- Movies, Television. a documentary film, radio or television program, etc.
Origin of documentary
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Also: documental consisting of, derived from, or relating to documents
- presenting factual material with little or no fictional additionsthe book gives a documentary account of the war
- a factual film or television programme about an event, person, etc, presenting the facts with little or no fiction
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for documentarily
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper