- the day of the Last Judgment, at the end of the world.
- any day of judgment or sentence.
- nuclear destruction of the world.
- given to or marked by forebodings or predictions of impending calamity; especially concerned with or predicting future universal destruction: the doomsday issue of all-out nuclear war.
- capable of causing widespread or total destruction: doomsday weapons.
Origin of doomsday
Examples from the Web for doomsday
Men and women “go on bucket list,” some commit suicide, and others go full on doomsday hoarder.What Would You Do if the World Was Over?
August 5, 2014
On federal spending he warns that the nation is headed for “a doomsday scenario.”T-Rav: The Reality TV Star Running for Senate in South Carolina
July 4, 2014
They were devout Christians who worried that this might bring on doomsday.D.C. Protesters Battle Over Obama’s Syria Response
August 31, 2013
Boustany echoed an idea that many came to believe, that talk of doomsday was overblown.Tropical Storm Chantal Tests National Guard Furloughs—and Governors
July 11, 2013
At least as far as Hollywood is concerned, 2013 is the year of doomsday.From ‘After Earth’ to ‘World War Z’: The Year in Apocalypse Movies
June 24, 2013
Don't forget that I'm to be your second—on doomsday morning, cousin.
Pages 20 and 34: Changed "doomsday" and "dooms-day" to "Dooms-day" for consistency.
Her record of badnesses occupies pages in the Doomsday Book.Dear Enemy
You will never know all that it implies, never, never, though I talk till Doomsday.The Daughters of Danaus
We are virtually where we were originally; and we can talk, talk, talk from now until the clap of doomsday.The Blind Spot
- (sometimes capital) the day on which the Last Judgment will occur
- any day of reckoning
- (modifier) characterized by predictions of disasterdoomsday scenario
Word Origin and History for doomsday
In medieval England it was expected when the world's age reached 6,000 years from creation, which was thought to have been in 5200 B.C. Bede, c.720, complained of being pestered by rustici asking him how many years till the sixth millennium ended. There is no evidence for a general panic in the year 1000 C.E. Doomsday machine "bomb powerful enough to wipe out human life on earth" is from 1960.