- one of a series of persecutions of French Protestants, under Louis XIV, by dragoons quartered upon them.
- any persecution with the aid of troops.
Origin of dragonnade
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- history the persecution of French Huguenots during the reign of Louis XIV by dragoons quartered in their villages and homes
- subjection by military force
- (tr) to subject to persecution by military troops
Word Origin for dragonnade
C18: from French, from dragon dragoon
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012