[ee-guh-tiz-uh m, eg-uh-]
- excessive and objectionable reference to oneself in conversation or writing; conceit; boastfulness.
- selfishness; self-centeredness; egoism.
Origin of egotism
SynonymsSee more synonyms for egotism on Thesaurus.com
1. Egotism, egoism refer to preoccupation with one's ego or self. Egotism is the common word for obtrusive and excessive reference to and emphasis upon oneself and one's own importance: His egotism alienated all his friends. Egoism, a less common word, is used especially in philosophy, ethics, or metaphysics, where it emphasizes the importance of or preoccupation with self in relation to other things: sufficient egoism to understand one's central place in the universe. See also pride.
1. humility, modesty, altruism.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for egotism
For all his egotism and irascibility, Churchill was a good man as well as a great one.Boris Johnson’s Churchill Man Crush
Michael F. Bishop
November 22, 2014
The tenderness, the devotedness of his mother had instilled into him an egotism that was ferocious.
The egotism he displayed in the enjoyment of his good fortune, shielded him from any fault.
The egotism of one of the parties may be too much for the other.Lysis
Arlt inquired, with a frankness which yet bore no taint of egotism.The Dominant Strain
Anna Chapin Ray
Perhaps it was my egotism, which made me over-bold, thinking that any woman could love me.Hidden Water
- an inflated sense of self-importance or superiority; self-centredness
- excessive reference to oneself
C18: from Latin ego I + -ism
Word Origin and History for egotism
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
An excessive regard for one's own talents or achievements; conceit, self-importance; acting with only one's own interests in mind.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.