- next after the seventh.
- being one of eight equal parts.
- an eighth part, especially of one (⅛).
- the eighth member of a series.
- Music. octave.
- in the eighth place; eighthly.
Origin of eighth
Examples from the Web for eighth
Contemporary Examples of eighth
On his eighth try, more than three decades after he went in, the parole board finally voted to release Sam.His First Day Out Of Jail After 40 Years: Adjusting To Life Outside
January 3, 2015
Meryl Streep makes an eighth of what Justin Bieber does a year.Justin Bieber Isn’t Even 21, Yet Makes More Money Than Meryl Streep
November 25, 2014
She was a beanpole growing up, before gaining 30 pounds after getting her period in eighth grade.Speed Read: Lena Dunham’s Most Shocking Confessions From ‘Not That Kind of Girl’
September 26, 2014
On the third circuit they make up just 17 percent of justices, and on the eighth circuit 18 percent.Why Women Should Forget the White House
July 21, 2014
His ultimate career goal is unchanged as he nears the end of the eighth grade and prepares to begin high school.Easter Miracle in Brooklyn for Shooting Victim
April 20, 2014
Historical Examples of eighth
Some said it was in the Eighth Ward; others located it in the Seventeenth.
The three regiments parading were the Eighth, Ninth and Twenty-fourth.Ridgeway
On the eighth day of the assizes there were but fifty of us left in the wool warehouse.Micah Clarke
Arthur Conan Doyle
Not a stick was there nearer than an eighth of a mile across the bay.The Long Labrador Trail
Of the fifth, the sixth and the eighth daughters nothing further is known.The Chinese Fairy Book
- (usually prenominal)
- coming after the seventh and before the ninth in numbering or counting order, position, time, etc; being the ordinal number of eight: often written 8th
- (as noun)the eighth in line
- one of eight equal or nearly equal parts of an object, quantity, measurement, etc
- (as modifier)an eighth part
- the fraction equal to one divided by eight (1/8)
- another word for octave
- Also: eighthly after the seventh person, position, event, etc