- next after the seventy-ninth; being the ordinal number for 80.
- being one of 80 equal parts.
- an eightieth part, especially of one (1/80).
- the eightieth member of a series.
Origin of eightieth
Examples from the Web for eightieth
Historical Examples of eightieth
He was killed at the siege of Chatillon in his eightieth year.England, Picturesque and Descriptive
That is why you and I shall be giving it up forever on our eightieth birthday.Penguin Persons & Peppermints
Walter Prichard Eaton
A small number only of mankind ever see their eightieth anniversary.Over the Teacups
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
Even in his eightieth year he was occupied for the theatre in Venice.The Violoncello and Its History
Wilhelm Joseph von Wasielewski
Solon, when he saw Sardis, was close upon his eightieth year.The History of Antiquity, Vol. III (of VI)
- (usually prenominal)
- being the ordinal number of eighty in numbering or counting order, position, time, etc: often written 80th
- (as noun)the eightieth in succession
- one of 80 approximately equal parts of something
- (as modifier)an eightieth part
- the fraction equal to one divided by 80 (1/80)