- to plate or coat with a metal by electrolysis.
- electroplated articles or ware.
Origin of electroplate
Related Words for electroplatinglayer, scale, enamel, overlay, laminate, cover, flake, gild, foil, face, stratify, silver, bronze, platinize, nickel, anodize, chrome, encrust, electroplate
Examples from the Web for electroplating
Historical Examples of electroplating
This is a more useful form of winding for electroplating purposes.Electricity for Boys
J. S. Zerbe
You should be able to make ball bearings by molding, then densify them by electroplating.Junior Achievement
Nickel is also used for electroplating, for nickel coins, for chemicals, etc.The Economic Aspect of Geology
C. K. Leith
Electroplating is the art of coating metals with metals by means of electricity.How it Works
The invention of electroplating was made by Brugnatelli in Italy in 1803.Invention
Bradley A. Fiske
- (tr) to plate (an object) by electrolysis
- electroplated articles collectively, esp when plated with silver
- coated with metal by electrolysis; electroplated
- The process of coating the surface of a conducting material with a metal. During the process, the surface to be covered acts as a cathode in an electrolytic cell, and the metal that is to cover it acts as an anode. Electroplating is usually used to cover a less expensive metal with a more expensive metal, or to cover a corrosive metal with a less corrosive or noncorrosive metal.