or e·meer, a·mir, a·meer
- a chieftain, prince, commander, or head of state in some Islamic countries.
- a title of honor of the descendants of Muhammad.
- (initial capital letter) the former title of the ruler of Afghanistan.
- a title of certain Turkish officials.
Origin of emir
Related Words for emeernobleman, ruler, sovereign, potentate, royalty, monarch, emir, archduke, raja, emeer, rajah
Examples from the Web for emeer
Historical Examples of emeer
And the emeer said: "This is what occurred to my mind, and excellent is the advice."
And the Emeer Moosa went on into the interior of the palace.
Then the king of the blacks said to the emeer: "Are ye of mankind, or of the genies?"
So the Emeer Moosà said, This is the action of the rational.Library Of The World's Best Literature, Ancient And Modern, Vol. 2
Charles Dudley Warner
The Emeer Moosa thereupon presented to the king of the blacks many presents, and gave him large gifts.
- an independent ruler or chieftain
- a military commander or governor
- a descendant of Mohammed
Word Origin for emir
1590s, from Arabic amir "commander" (see admiral).