- emergency medical service.
- Digital Technology. enhanced message service: a system for sending long or formatted text messages, images, music, etc., from one cell phone to another.Compare SMS(def 1a).
- European Monetary System.
- express mail service: an international service offered by the postal operators of the Universal Postal Union (UPU).
- Printing. em quad
Origin of em
First recorded in 1860–65
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for ems
EMS officers were called to the scene and pronounced her dead upon arrival.Celebrity Stylist Annabel Tollman Dead at Thirty-Nine
Misty White Sidell
June 7, 2013
And even EMS dispatch vets, generally reluctant to second-guess the work of one of their own, have piled on.Amanda Berry’s 911 Dispatcher Under Fire for Blasé Response
May 7, 2013
I told the EMS, nurses, and doctor that it was an attempted rape.In Washington, Sexual Assault Victims Find Justice Elusive
February 22, 2013
At Ems I shall not be a conjuror: but I never part with my box.Vivian Grey
Earl of Beaconsfield, Benjamin Disraeli
In summer, all the world—of Leipsic—goes out of town, to Baden or Ems.Funny Big Socks
Sarah L. Barrow
I foresee a snub for our ambassador at Ems, but that is all.Lorraine
Robert W. Chambers
The Ems, on the other hand, only serves towns of the second class.The Riddle of the Sands
Yes, that must be it, for the Ems sailed yesterday from Southampton.A Cathedral Courtship
Kate Douglas Wiggin
- a town in W Germany, in the Rhineland-Palatinate: famous for the Ems Telegram (1870), Bismarck's dispatch that led to the outbreak of the Franco-Prussian War. Pop: 9666 (2003 est)
- a river in W Germany, rising in the Teutoburger Wald and flowing generally north to the North Sea. Length: about 370 km (230 miles)
- European Monetary System
- enhanced messaging service: a system used for sending text messages containing special text formatting, animations, etc, to and from mobile phones
- Also called: mutton, mut the square of a body of any size of type, used as a unit of measurement
- Also called: pica em, pica a unit of measurement used in printing, equal to one sixth of an inch
C19: from the name of the letter M
- electrical muscle stimulation
- Emergency Medical Service
- electron microscope
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.