- to swallow greedily; glut or gorge.
- Pathology. to congest with blood.
Origin of engorge
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for engorgeglut, englut, gobble, down, stuff, wolf, ingurgitate, overeat, guzzle, overindulge, gorge
Examples from the Web for engorge
Contemporary Examples of engorge
In the tear-down culture in which we engorge ourselves like ticks bloated on blood, I guess he truly is the King.LeBron James, the Most Hated Athlete in America
June 14, 2011
- pathol to congest with blood
- to eat (food) ravenously or greedily
- to gorge (oneself); glut; satiate
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- To fill to excess, as with blood or other fluid.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.