- pertaining to, derived from, or founded on experiment: an experimental science.
- of the nature of an experiment; tentative: The new program is still in an experimental stage.
- functioning as an experiment or used for experimentation: an experimental airplane.
- based on or derived from experience; empirical: experimental knowledge.
- something that is experimental.
Origin of experimental
Related Words for experimentalunproved, empirical, preliminary, beginning, laboratory, momentary, pilot, preparatory, primary, provisional, speculative, temporary, tentative, test, trial, developmental, experiential, probationary, unconcluded
Examples from the Web for experimental
Contemporary Examples of experimental
The course Jackson taught at VMI, “Natural and Experimental Philosophy,” was brutally difficult.Stonewall Jackson, VMI’s Most Embattled Professor
S. C. Gwynne
November 29, 2014
I made experimental commercials in the experimental division of a production house, Film X, that made commercials for ad agencies.The Renegade: Robert Downey Sr. on His Classic Films, Son’s Battle with Drugs, and Bill Cosby
November 26, 2014
“Rather than the finalized models, we display the experimental work-in-progress ones,” Migarou says.Frank Gehry Is Architecture’s Mad Genius
October 27, 2014
All three are first-person works, and each could be labeled “experimental” in its own way.Lars Iyer’s ‘Wittgenstein Jr.’ Plumbs the Deep Fun of Philosophical Fiction
October 1, 2014
But with LSD, because it was countercultural, and because it was used as an experimental drug, it was not marketed properly.Frances McDormand on 'Olive Kitteridge,' Dropping LSD, and Her Beef With FX's 'Fargo'
September 3, 2014
Historical Examples of experimental
Edison was acquainted with two experimental facts on which to base the invention.Heroes of the Telegraph
The scientific mind is not confined wholly to experimental research.Life: Its True Genesis
R. W. Wright
I've got a new idea for a battery, and I made an experimental one.Tom Swift and his Electric Runabout
Experimental model or not, this was a nice-looking hunk of machinery.Arm of the Law
Well, if we were talking science instead of common sense, we should call that an Experimental Verification.
- relating to, based on, or having the nature of experimentan experimental study
- based on or derived from experience; empiricalexperimental evidence
- tending to experimentan experimental artist
- tentative or provisionalan experimental rule in football