- of or relating to an exponent or exponents.
- of or relating to the constant e.
- (of an equation) having one or more unknown variables in one or more exponents.
- rising or expanding at a steady and usually rapid rate:a city experiencing exponential growth.
- the constant e raised to the power equal to a given expression, as e3x, which is the exponential of 3x.
- any positive constant raised to a power.
Origin of exponential
Related Words for exponentialepidemic, aggressive, rampant, augmented, wanton, mounting, ascending, growing
Examples from the Web for exponential
Contemporary Examples of exponential
The numbers are still small, but the growth has been exponential since the first atheist church service was held in January.Sunday Assembly Is the Hot New Atheist Church
September 21, 2013
Yet the exponential decline in the cost means that the threat posed by the fabrication of lethal bio-pathogens is rising.Big Idea: The Time for Divided Nations Is Over
August 1, 2013
This trend will only make more sense as the exponential cost drop continues.Should Conservatives Embrace Solar Power?
September 17, 2012
It has annual revenues exceeding $6 billion, an exponential improvement from the 1990s.Onetime Internet Darling Yahoo Now on a Deathwatch
January 5, 2012
Every tiny ounce of pressure added has an exponential effect.The Dangerous Appeal of Choking
June 14, 2009
Historical Examples of exponential
The energy it would receive from the Sun as it approached, an exponential curve.The Leech
It multiplies and surges to its fulfillment at an exponential rate.The Demi-Urge
Thomas Michael Disch
The inevitable outcome is an exponential explosion in computing and networking power.After the Rain
- maths (of a function, curve, series, or equation) of, containing, or involving one or more numbers or quantities raised to an exponent, esp e x
- maths raised to the power of e, the base of natural logarithmsSymbol: exp
- of or involving an exponent or exponents
- informal very rapid
- maths an exponential function, etc
- Relating to a mathematical expression containing one or more exponents.♦ Something is said to increase or decrease exponentially if its rate of change must be expressed using exponents. A graph of such a rate would appear not as a straight line, but as a curve that continually becomes steeper or shallower.