- a secure or fortified place; stronghold: a mountain fastness.
- the state of being fixed or firm: the fastness of democratic institutions.
- the state of being rapid.
Origin of fastness
Examples from the Web for fastness
Historical Examples of fastness
His spirit retired far into its fastness, taking with it all his energies.The Leopard Woman
Stewart Edward White
Hardened men with a hardened code, they lived in their fastness like Ishmaelites.Nan of Music Mountain
Frank H. Spearman
He advised a retreat for the night, and an attack on Walter when he should have left the fastness.Epic and Romance
W. P. Ker
What is meant by the expression “fastness of color of two fabrics”?Textiles
William H. Dooley
I did not come to you and say, 'Let me beard the cook in her fastness.
- a stronghold; fortress
- the state or quality of being firm or secure
- the ability of a dye to remain permanent and not run or fade
- archaic swiftness