- of or relating to the Federalists or to the Federalist party.
- supporting the principles of the Federalist party.
- (in the Civil War) pertaining to or supporting the Union government.
- relating to or adhering to the support of the Constitution.
- a Federalist.
- an adherent of the Union government during the Civil War; Unionist.
- a soldier in the Federal army.
Words nearby federal
Origin of federal
OTHER WORDS FROM federal
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH federalfederal national
Examples from the Web for federal
“This is a federal mandate that is causing some real problems for schools across the country,” Kline told a CBS affiliate in July.
As for the federal authorities, they have made themselves available but the clergy have not requested special protection.
What 15 months in a federal correction institution will be like, according to a man who counsels to-be inmates.How a ‘Real Housewife’ Survives Prison: ‘I Don’t See [Teresa Giudice] Having a Cakewalk Here’|Michael Howard|January 6, 2015|DAILY BEAST
And that means they also fall under the umbrella of programs most likely to get the axe when state and federal budgets are tight.
This is why arguments for little to no federal oversight of education are so disturbing.The ‘No Child’ Rewrite Threatens Your Kids’ Future|Jonah Edelman|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
We're Federal soldiers just escaped from Andersonville, and they're after us with bloodhounds.Elsie's Womanhood|Martha Finley
The Federal cried out with all his might, "Vive la Commune!"History of the Commune of 1871|P. Lissagary
The party consisted of three Federal officers, one a member of General Hooker's staff.The Story of a Confederate boy in the Civil War|David E. Johnston
If it was any such crime it would be a Federal rather than a State offense.Warren Commission (5 of 26): Hearings Vol. V (of 15)|The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy
In 1788 he was one of the most influential members of the Massachusetts convention which ratified the Federal Constitution.
British Dictionary definitions for federal (1 of 2)
Derived forms of federalfederally, adverb
Word Origin for federal
British Dictionary definitions for federal (2 of 2)
- of or relating to the Federalist party or Federalism
- characteristic of or supporting the Union government during the American Civil War
- a supporter of the Union government during the American Civil War
- a Federalist