- of or relating to the Federalists or to the Federalist party.
- supporting the principles of the Federalist party.
- (in the Civil War) pertaining to or supporting the Union government.
- relating to or adhering to the support of the Constitution.
- a Federalist.
- an adherent of the Union government during the Civil War; Unionist.
- a soldier in the Federal army.
DO YOU KNOW THIS VOCABULARY FROM "THE HANDMAID'S TALE"?
Origin of federal
OTHER WORDS FROM federal
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH federalfederal national
Words nearby federal
Example sentences from the Web for federally
The TVA, a federally owned and chartered electric power provider, is a New Deal legacy just like Social Security.Steve Scalise Shows There’s a Fine Line Between Confederate & Southern|Lloyd Green|January 2, 2015|DAILY BEAST
The plan was for those with problems to be treated in their communities through a federally supported system of providers.
Republican Budget Chairman Paul Ryan says the federally subsidized school-lunch program offers “a full stomach and an empty soul.”The Dude Is Up for Breakfast: Jeff Bridges’ New Push on Childhood Hunger|Eleanor Clift|March 15, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The rates on federally guaranteed student loans, meanwhile, is set to double to 6.8% this summer.Elizabeth Warren Wants the Fed to Get Into the Student Loan Business|Megan McArdle|May 9, 2013|DAILY BEAST
But: it is illegal, federally, to own a gun under the age of 21.
The 1,670.74 acres of federally owned land in the park comprise portions of the two battlefields.Manasses (Bull Run) National Battlefield Park-Virginia|Francis F. Wilshin
Italy, moreover, could not have been federally united without the consent of Naples and the Church.Renaissance in Italy, Volume 1 (of 7)|John Addington Symonds
British Dictionary definitions for federally (1 of 2)
- of or relating to the Federalist party or Federalism
- characteristic of or supporting the Union government during the American Civil War
- a supporter of the Union government during the American Civil War
- a Federalist