- of or relating to the Federalists or to the Federalist party.
- supporting the principles of the Federalist party.
- (in the Civil War) pertaining to or supporting the Union government.
- relating to or adhering to the support of the Constitution.
- a Federalist.
- an adherent of the Union government during the Civil War; Unionist.
- a soldier in the Federal army.
Origin of federal
Can be confusedfederal national
Examples from the Web for federally
The TVA, a federally owned and chartered electric power provider, is a New Deal legacy just like Social Security.Steve Scalise Shows There’s a Fine Line Between Confederate & Southern|Lloyd Green|January 2, 2015|DAILY BEAST
The plan was for those with problems to be treated in their communities through a federally supported system of providers.
Republican Budget Chairman Paul Ryan says the federally subsidized school-lunch program offers “a full stomach and an empty soul.”The Dude Is Up for Breakfast: Jeff Bridges’ New Push on Childhood Hunger|Eleanor Clift|March 15, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The rates on federally guaranteed student loans, meanwhile, is set to double to 6.8% this summer.Elizabeth Warren Wants the Fed to Get Into the Student Loan Business|Megan McArdle|May 9, 2013|DAILY BEAST
But: it is illegal, federally, to own a gun under the age of 21.
The 1,670.74 acres of federally owned land in the park comprise portions of the two battlefields.Manasses (Bull Run) National Battlefield Park-Virginia|Francis F. Wilshin
Italy, moreover, could not have been federally united without the consent of Naples and the Church.Renaissance in Italy, Volume 1 (of 7)|John Addington Symonds
British Dictionary definitions for federally (1 of 2)
- of or relating to the Federalist party or Federalism
- characteristic of or supporting the Union government during the American Civil War
- a supporter of the Union government during the American Civil War
- a Federalist