- filamentous matter from the bast tissue or other parts of plants, used for industrial purposes.
- a slender, threadlike root of a plant.
- a slender, tapered cell which, with like cells, serves to strengthen tissue.
- the structural part of plants and plant products that consists of carbohydrates, as cellulose and pectin, that are wholly or partially indigestible and when eaten stimulate peristalsis in the intestine.
- food containing a high amount of such carbohydrates, as whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
Origin of fiber
Related formsfi·ber·less, adjectivein·ter·fi·ber, adjective
Examples from the Web for fiber
He throws every fiber of his being into each performance, altering his posture, elocution, temperament, and more.Oscars 2015: The Daily Beast’s Picks, From Scarlett Johansson to ‘Boyhood’|Marlow Stern|January 6, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Instead, opt for eating complete meals with good sources of protein and fiber.
With every fiber in my body I hope the answer is a resounding “No.”As Michael Brown Grand Jury Winds Down, Is Ferguson on the Brink of War?|Ron Christie|November 16, 2014|DAILY BEAST
I despise it with every fiber of my being, but freedom of speech is vital to our nation.To Fight Pam Geller, Join Our Comedy Jihad at the MTA|Dean Obeidallah|September 23, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Kansas City, Kansas, was one of the first cities in the country to get Google Fiber.D-Day for Milton Wolf, Obama’s Tea Party Cousin, in Kansas Senate Primary|Ben Jacobs|August 5, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Probably most of the conducting fibrils leave at or near the termination of the thicker part of the fiber.
He has driven home to the world your great adaptability and the fiber of which you are made.A Negro Explorer at the North Pole|Matthew A. Henson
Everybody knows what rope is, but everybody does not know how rope is made or of what kinds of fiber it is manufactured.The Wonder Book of Knowledge|Various
It compelled him to arise from the floor, it banished fear from his soul, it made him rejoice in every fiber of his being.Sleep Walking and Moon Walking|Isidor Isaak Sadger
Apply a thin coat, very smooth, all over the skull and model on the jaw muscles with the plaster and fiber.Taxidermy|Leon Luther Pray