- next after the fourteenth; being the ordinal number for 15.
- being one of 15 equal parts.
- a fifteenth part, especially of one (1/15).
- the fifteenth member of a series.
- Music. the interval of two octaves.
Origin of fifteenth
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for fifteenth
This edition of Fotofest, its fifteenth, is titled View From Inside: Contemporary Arab Video, Photography and Mixed Media Art.Fotofest Brings Unprecedented Collection of Arab Photographic Art to U.S.
November 11, 2013
On this coming March fifteenth we will be unpopular with more millions of taxpayers than ever before.A Tip of the Fedora to Elmer Lincoln Irey, the Patron Saint of the IRS
John L. Smith
July 7, 2013
The most persistent story about the Garter was first recorded in the fifteenth century.Disorder of the Garter
June 14, 2012
I was on the eve of my fifteenth birthday, and I was in a state of expectation as to the future of my life.My Double Life
Let her read Timothy chapter two, ninth to fifteenth verses.'Micah Clarke
Arthur Conan Doyle
On the fifteenth of September the British made the move that was expected.The Dare Boys of 1776
Stephen Angus Cox
On the fifteenth, the States of the Province will be reassembled.
These had nearly reached their culmination in the middle of the fifteenth century.Two Penniless Princesses
Charlotte M. Yonge
- coming after the fourteenth in order, position, time, etc. Often written: 15th
- (as noun)the fifteenth of the month
- one of 15 equal or nearly equal parts of something
- (as modifier)a fifteenth part
- the fraction equal to one divided by 15 (1/15)
- an interval of two octaves
- one of two notes constituting such an interval in relation to the other, esp the one higher in pitch
- an organ stop of diapason quality sounding a note two octaves higher than that normally produced by the key depressed; a two-foot stop
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for fifteenth
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper