- a cardinal number, ten times five.
- a symbol for this number, as 50 or L.
- a set of this many persons or things.
- fifties, the numbers, years, degrees, or the like, from 50 through 59, as in referring to numbered streets, indicating the years of a lifetime or of a century, or degrees of temperature: She lives in the East Fifties. He's in his late fifties. It's going to be in the fifties again today.
- Informal. a fifty-dollar bill: He had a fifty and two tens in his wallet.
- amounting to 50 in number.
Origin of fifty
Examples from the Web for fifties
Throughout the fifties, in city after city, fluoridation became the subject of fierce debate.Anti-Fluoriders Are The OG Anti-Vaxxers
July 27, 2016
I struck up a conversation with a man in his fifties or sixties who had a Brooklyn accent.I Ate Potato Pancakes Til I Plotzed
December 17, 2014
PANKISI GORGE, Georgia—The mother of martyrs, a woman in her fifties, is delicately beautiful and visibly in pain.The Secret Life of an ISIS Warlord
Will Cathcart, Vazha Tavberidze, Nino Burchuladze
October 27, 2014
An earthquake finally destroyed the town in the Fifties, but it really started to die when the Christian population was deported.Turkey's Gorgeous Ghost Town
July 12, 2014
“Oh, they are with us,” said the leader of the group, a man in his fifties, dressed in camouflage, wearing a peaked military cap.Are East Ukraine's Cops in Moscow's Pocket?
April 15, 2014
I 'll take you two to one in fifties that I act the host here this day twelvemonth.Roland Cashel
Charles James Lever
You are swept off by dozens at a time there—by fifties in a cave.Love and Lucy
Maurice Henry Hewlett
In villages they can be counted by tens, in towns by fifties.The Soul of a People
Up to the Christmas of that year he had kept the appearance of a man in his fifties.The Genius
Margaret Horton Potter
She must now be somewhere in the fifties—let's see—fifty-three, I think.The Ideal
Stanley Grauman Weinbaum
- the cardinal number that is the product of ten and five
- a numeral, 50, L, etc, representing this number
- something represented by, representing, or consisting of 50 units
- amounting to fiftyfifty people
- (as pronoun)fifty should be sufficient
Word Origin and History for fifties
1826 as the years of someone's life between 50 and 59; 1853 as a decade of years in a given century. See fifty.