[fi-nan-shuh l, fahy-]
- pertaining to monetary receipts and expenditures; pertaining or relating to money matters; pecuniary: financial operations.
- of or relating to those commonly engaged in dealing with money and credit.
- financials, financial information or data about a company, as balance sheets and price-earnings ratio.
Origin of financial
SynonymsSee more synonyms for financial on Thesaurus.com
1. Financial, fiscal, monetary, pecuniary refer to matters concerned with money. Financial usually refers to money matters or transactions of some size or importance: a financial wizard. Fiscal is used especially in connection with government funds, or those of any organization: the end of the fiscal year. Monetary relates especially to money as such: a monetary system or standard. Pecuniary refers to money as used in making ordinary payments: a pecuniary obligation or reward.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for financials
It would have had to have proper accounting and people with financials skills to get licensed.Inside Japan’s Bitcoin Heist
February 28, 2014
Now it is offering the public a look inside at its own financials.Empire State Building Sells Shares to the Public
October 2, 2013
Although LVMH did not disclose the financials involved in the investment, The Times called it "a major injection of funding."Alessandro Dell'Acqua Replaces Marco Zanini at Rochas; M.I.A. to Launch Versace Collaboration
The Fashion Beast Team
September 26, 2013
And yes, unlike Romney, Lew laid bare his financials in graphic detail.Jack Lew and the Obama Administration’s Finance-Friendly Status Quo
February 19, 2013
Only a closer look at the financials would reveal where that money came from.What’s Behind StopKony? Critics Question Video Producer’s Finances
March 9, 2012
Sammy got his rematch with Hackelberg when the quarterly financials came out.
Kettlewell pulled out some charts and another surfer in a suit came forward to talk money, walking them through the financials.
- of or relating to finance or finances
- of or relating to persons who manage money, capital, or credit
- Australian and NZ informal having money; in funds
- Australian and NZ (of a club member) fully paid-up
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for financials
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper