- a type of firework that makes a loud hissing sound.
- a whirling toy that makes a whizzing noise.
- Australian. a police informer.
Origin of fizgig
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for fizgig
Historical Examples of fizgig
Be it you, Mr. Fizgig, son of a peer of the realm; or you, Bill Tidd.The History of Samuel Titmarsh
William Makepeace Thackeray
- a frivolous or flirtatious girl
- a firework or whirling top that fizzes as it moves
- a variant of fishgig
- Australian slang a police informer
- (intr) Australian slang to inform on criminals to the police
Word Origin for fizgig
C16: probably from obsolete fise a breaking of wind + gig girl
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
"light, frivolous woman," 1520s, first element of uncertain origin, second element is Middle English gig "frivolous person" (see gig (n.1)).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper