- the arrangement of leaves within a bud.
- the arrangement of leaves on a plant.
- ornamentation with foils.
- ornamentation with representations of foliage.
BECOME A PRO CHEF WITH THIS EXQUISITE CUISINE QUIZ!
OTHER WORDS FROM foliationsub·fo·li·a·tion, nounsu·per·fo·li·a·tion, noun
Words nearby foliation
Example sentences from the Web for foliation
The upper windows, for instance, in the east end of Westminster Abbey are imperfect for want of foliation.The Stones of Venice, Volume II (of 3), |John Ruskin
The general direction of foliation is a few degrees south of east, subject, of course, to many local changes.The Long Labrador Trail|Dillon Wallace
A great affinity exists in foliation between Terebinthace and Sapindaceæ.Journals of Travels in Assam, Burma, Bhootan, Afghanistan and The|William Griffith
Foliation is especially characteristic of Gothic architecture; some of the windows in Westminster Abbey are foliated.Venice|Dorothy Menpes
So again the making out of cleavage and the foliation of the metamorphic rocks.The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin, Volume II (of II)|Charles Darwin
British Dictionary definitions for foliation
- the process of producing leaves
- the state of being in leaf
- the arrangement of leaves in a leaf bud; vernation
- ornamentation consisting of foliage
- ornamentation consisting of cusps and foils