- the arrangement of leaves within a bud.
- the arrangement of leaves on a plant.
- ornamentation with foils.
- ornamentation with representations of foliage.
OTHER WORDS FROM foliationsub·fo·li·a·tion, nounsu·per·fo·li·a·tion, noun
Words nearby foliation
How to use foliation in a sentence
The recesses on the sides of the other cusps indicate their single or double lines of foliation.The Stones of Venice, Volume III (of 3)|John Ruskin
Between the asterisk in my text (supra) and the one following ford before the foliation mark f. 364, the ai.The Bbur-nma in English|Babur, Emperor of Hindustan
On the oak-beamed ceiling, across the ivory rosettes, a single bar of red sunlight lay, broken by rafter and plaster foliation.The Younger Set|Robert W. Chambers
The design of the slab on the south, formerly the back, is also rude foliation.Records of Woodhall Spa and Neighbourhood|J. Conway Walter
Simple Gothic foliation is merely the triple, quadruple, or variously multiple repetition of such intersection.The Eagle's Nest|John Ruskin
British Dictionary definitions for foliation
- the process of producing leaves
- the state of being in leaf
- the arrangement of leaves in a leaf bud; vernation
- ornamentation consisting of foliage
- ornamentation consisting of cusps and foils