- to make formal, especially for the sake of official or authorized acceptance: to formalize an understanding by drawing up a legal contract.
- to give a definite form or shape to.
- to state or restate (the rules or implied rules of a grammar or the like) in symbolic form.
Also especially British, for·mal·ise.
Origin of formalize
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for formalize
Maps have long served to formalize authority over peoples and their lands and resources.Should Google Be Mapping Tribal Lands?
June 4, 2014
She sought to finalize and formalize the split by filing for divorce in Brooklyn.Threats Preceded High-Rise Suicide, New York Mom Says
December 24, 2013
The battle will now focus on the drafting of Egypt's new constitution, which will formalize the emerging allocation of power.Good News, Bad News
June 25, 2012
Of course any effort to impose such a system would simply be to formalize what already exists, and has since 1967.Beware "Creative Alternatives"
May 17, 2012
The first step is to formalize something resembling a brand.NBC, You've Blown It Again!
October 26, 2010
"Formalize our mating as soon as she is able to get out of bed," Kennon replied.The Lani People
J. F. Bone
But this priest was standing in the corridor and was rather insistent that he formalize some prayers at that point.Warren Commission (7 of 26): Hearings Vol. VII (of 15)
The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy
Yet strangely and unexpectedly the attempt to formalize his faith almost shook his faith out of him again.The Devil's Garden
W. B. Maxwell
- to be or make formal
- (tr) to make official or valid
- (tr) to give a definite shape or form to
- logic to extract the logical form of (an expression), to express in the symbols of some formal system
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for formalize
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper