adjective, gam·er, gam·est.
verb (used without object), gamed, gam·ing.
verb (used with object), gamed, gam·ing.
Words nearby game
Idioms for game
- to die after a brave struggle.
- to remain steadfast or in good spirits at the moment of defeat: He knew that as a candidate he didn't have a chance in the world, but he campaigned anyway and died game.
- Sports. playing very badly (or very well).
- not functioning (or functioning) at one’s usual level: She’s been off her game since she came back from vacation.
- to act or play in accordance with the rules.
- to act honorably or justly: We naively assumed that our allies would continue to play the game.
Origin of game1
OTHER WORDS FROM gamegame·less, adjectivegame·like, adjectivegame·ness, nounun·game·like, adjective
Examples from the Web for gameness
"Their chief quality is gameness," said Cartoner, thoughtfully.The Vultures|Henry Seton Merriman
The conditions were quite favorable to compare their gameness, but I was unable to perceive any difference in this respect.Bass, Pike, Perch, and Others|James Alexander Henshall
For gameness, as she well knew, was the ultimate virtue to the athlete mind.Wanted: A Husband|Samuel Hopkins Adams
The only unknown quantity was the spirit or gameness of us two.Gold|Stewart White
Afflicted by nothing but a somewhat mercenary or personal grief, she showed her lack of gameness in adversity.54-40 or Fight|Emerson Hough
British Dictionary definitions for gameness (1 of 3)
British Dictionary definitions for gameness (2 of 3)
- wild animals, including birds and fish, hunted for sport, food, or profit
- (as modifier)game laws
Derived forms of gamegamelike, adjective
Word Origin for game
British Dictionary definitions for gameness (3 of 3)
Word Origin for game
Idioms and Phrases with gameness
In addition to the idioms beginning with game
- game is not worth the candle, the
- game is up, the
- game that two can play, that's a
- ahead of the game
- at this stage (of the game)
- badger game
- beat someone at his or her own game
- call someone's bluff (game)
- confidence game
- end game
- fair game
- fun and games
give away (the game)losing battle (game)name of the gameonly game in townplay a waiting gameplay gamesplay the gamewaiting gamewhole new ball game.