- a proposition asserting something to be true either of all members of a certain class or of an indefinite part of that class.
- the process of obtaining such propositions.
- Also called stimulus generalization.the act or process of responding to a stimulus similar to but distinct from the conditioned stimulus.
- Also called response generalization.the act or process of making a different but similar response to the same stimulus.
- Also called mediated generalization.the act or process of responding to a stimulus not physically similar to the conditioned stimulus and not previously encountered in conditioning.
- the act or process of perceiving similarity or relation between different stimuli, as between words, colors, sounds, lights, concepts or feelings; the formation of a general notion.
Origin of generalization
Related Words for generalizationregulation, proposal, rule, logic, reasoning, sense, interpretation, premise, thinking, argument, analysis, acumen, proposition, hypothesis, rationale, inference, conjecture, ratiocination, reason, rationalization
Examples from the Web for generalization
Contemporary Examples of generalization
I had some people come up to me after and talk to me—‘Oh, I disagreed with that,’ ‘I thought that was a generalization.’‘Two and a Half Men’ Co-Creator Lee Aronsohn’s Female-Comedy Rant
April 4, 2012
Quite frankly, your generalization (one of many) that no 15-year-old is capable of writing as I did is false.Michael Wolff Is the Child
June 22, 2010
Ian McEwan: But we accept, for example, if you want to make a generalization, that a sample of two is about fine.Hanging Out with Ian McEwan: Full Transcript
The Daily Beast Video
April 14, 2010
Historical Examples of generalization
Still, one must not begin to apply this generalization too early.A Treatise on Parents and Children
George Bernard Shaw
Here, is in the Parmenides, he means something not really different from generalization.Theaetetus
These are the processes of division and generalization which are so dear to the dialectician, that king of men.Phaedrus
Generalization is always a new influx of the divinity into the mind.Essays, First Series
Ralph Waldo Emerson
The Chinese Mencius has not been the least successful in his generalization.Essays, Second Series
Ralph Waldo Emerson