- a proposition asserting something to be true either of all members of a certain class or of an indefinite part of that class.
- the process of obtaining such propositions.
- Also called stimulus generalization. the act or process of responding to a stimulus similar to but distinct from the conditioned stimulus.
- Also called response generalization. the act or process of making a different but similar response to the same stimulus.
- Also called mediated generalization. the act or process of responding to a stimulus not physically similar to the conditioned stimulus and not previously encountered in conditioning.
- the act or process of perceiving similarity or relation between different stimuli, as between words, colors, sounds, lights, concepts or feelings; the formation of a general notion.
- generalized anaphylaxis,
- generalized anxiety disorder,
- generalized coordinate
Origin of generalization
Examples from the Web for generalization
I had some people come up to me after and talk to me—‘Oh, I disagreed with that,’ ‘I thought that was a generalization.’‘Two and a Half Men’ Co-Creator Lee Aronsohn’s Female-Comedy Rant|Tricia Romano|April 4, 2012|DAILY BEAST
Quite frankly, your generalization (one of many) that no 15-year-old is capable of writing as I did is false.
Ian McEwan: But we accept, for example, if you want to make a generalization, that a sample of two is about fine.
How much has been written on abstraction, generalization, and universals!Fundamental Philosophy, Vol. I (of 2)|Jaime Luciano Balmes
That this generalization does not admit, however, of universal application is made evident by the work of various experimenters.The Toxicity of Caffein|William Salant
Generalization, by which is meant the process of forming Concepts or General Ideas.The Art of Logical Thinking|William Walker Atkinson
Generalization is certainly a most valuable instrument: science indeed exists only by virtue of it.More Hunting Wasps|J. Henri Fabre
They lack not only curiosity, but the power of abstraction and generalization, and even thought is a burden to them.